IRONSIDE EDGE WORKS
APPRENTICESHIP POSITION OPEN
Ironside Edge Works has grown tremendously in the last 2 and a half years. I am now in a position to offer a knifemaker apprentice position to someone to assist me with the day to day workings of being a professional knife maker.
Knife making and Blade smithing has a long tradition of apprenticeship, of passing skills and knowledge to younger generations. This is quite probably the best way to learn for anyone who is considering making a career as a knife maker, as the skills and knowledge involved in this profession cannot easily be learnt elsewhere.
If you have a serious interest in becoming a professional knife maker then this may be a perfect opportunity for you. It is however not for the feint of heart.
The Apprenticeship runs for 12 months, and while traditionally an apprenticeship position is unpaid, a small stipend will be paid to help cover personal costs like transport. This investment of your time will be in exchange for the knowledge, skills and experience you will acquire along the way. By the end of the 12 month apprenticeship you will be able to either continue working at Ironside Edge Works as a full time knife maker, or have the requisite skill to continue your career on your own.
The following candidates will be considered.
- Age 16+ (Position is best suited to young person who doesn’t have any large financial obligations)
- Live in the Cape Town Metro Area
- Have an aptitude for working with your hands/tools
- Be Creatively inclined
- An interest in Martial Arts / Edged Weapon Combatives is beneficia
No experience is needed, however if you have some it won’t hurt.
What you will be doing:
- Keeping the workshop clean & tidy
- Prepping materials
- Keeping track of raw materials & blade stock
- Learning every aspect of Knifemaking from steel selection to sheath making and sharpening.
- Learning the use of machinery and tools, and techniques like Freehand Grinding.
- Learning the business aspect of being a professional Knifemaker
This is a part time position and is ideal for students.
If you are interested in becoming my apprentice please send an email with a CV or details about yourself, a link or samples of any knife making or creative work you have done before and tell me a little bit about yourself and your interests.